Body odor. It’s an odd thing to make a list about. But when you sell a natural deodorant cream, people expect you to know things. Weird things. Disturbing things. Gross things. Things that once known can never be unknown…
Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
So in honor of all things sweaty and stinky, here are 10 things you may not (want) to know about B.O.
- Human sweat has a pH level ranging between 4.5 and 7.
- Sweat itself doesn’t smell. It’s the waste products produced by the bacteria that feed on your sweat. Yup. B.O. is caused by bacteria poop.
- Scientists have discovered the specific bacteria that causes that stink – Staphylococcus hominis. Needless to say, that particularly smelly lab is none too popular with the other scientists.
- Body odor is affected by many things, such as diet, mood, health, even your menstrual cycle. Does this mean you can smell cranky?
- Sweat accounts for up to 7% of your bodies elimination of the waste product urea – yes, the stuff urine is named for.
- They discovered a third type of sweat gland in 1987, called the apoeccrine gland. Because sweating from two types of glands wasn’t enough.
- Several studies suggest that sweat transmits emotions from one person to another. (so stay away from that person that smells cranky, and find one that smells happy!)
- Your lips have no sweat glands. This, combined with the fact the skin is so thin there, is why they chap so easily.
- There is such a thing as ‘fecal body odor’. When a person is severely constipated, the toxins can seep through their pores, making them rather…odiferous.
- And finally, some good news for all you guys – male sweat has a chemical called andrastadienone that can boost a woman’s mood and increase their arousal.
So there you have it. You don’t smell bad, but bacteria, riding your innocent sweat like a ‘lazy river’ at an amusement park do, and while some days you might smell cranky, and some days you might smell like doo doo, your lips will always be a safe space.
Thoughts? Comments? Tried these facts out at the backyard barbecue? Let us know below.